Job: City Engineer Project Manager, City of River Falls, River Falls, WI
Overall responsibility for successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of municipal projects. Furnishes professional engineering services in connection with planning and executing public works, street, bridge, buildings, utility and related planning, construction and maintenance programs. Acts as trusted advisor and internal professional engineering consultant to all City departments on complex technical and multi-party projects and plans of the City. Significant role in the development and management of the City’s Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). Mentor and guide to City’s engineering staff without direct supervisory responsibility. Primary liaison with State Department of Transportation, County Highway Commissioners, and other key transportation officials regarding the transportation system in and around the City of River Falls.
• Acts as trusted advisor and internal professional engineering consultant to all City departments on complex technical and multi-party projects and plans of the City.
• Oversee the development and management of the City’s Capital Improvement Plan (CIP).
• Planning, executing and closing projects. Defining the project, building a comprehensive workplan and managing the budget for that project.
• Prepare and develop specifications and bid proposals, cost estimates, contract payments and related matters, establishes schedules, reviews work, recommends financing methods and approves all completed projects.
• Makes recommendations for the operations (preventative maintenance) and capital improvement budgets of the City.
• Oversees contractors to ensure projects are done as stated in contracts; projects to include but not limited to: preparing and/or approving studies, contract documents, plans and specifications, cost estimates, investigations, evaluations, reports, invoice approval, change orders, and other documents; and, approves and inspects the construction of engineering projects throughout the city.
• Oversees the selection process for outside consultants, which includes: preparing requests for proposal; evaluating proposals; negotiating contracts; recommending proposal awards; drafting and negotiating service agreements, and; performing other related duties.
• Assists in the development and implementation of proper preventive maintenance programs for all City facilities.
• Provide development review comments.
• Works with engineering team to conduct traffic studies and surveys; makes recommendations for traffic control devices and traffic calming.
• Chairs and serves on various committees and meetings dealing with cooperative construction matters for the City.
• Attends meetings and conferences with city boards and commissions, city departments, public officials, professional organizations and contractors regarding requirements for engineering projects and other matters related to areas of assigned responsibilities.
• Prepares a variety of written reports, correspondence and special studies. Makes presentations to various officials, board commissions, and committees as required.
• Maintains a good working relationship with various outside agencies including the Department of Natural Resources, DOT, Utility Department, University of Wisconsin – River Falls/University of Wisconsin-System, local architects, consulting engineers, developers and contractors.
• Responds to and follows up with general inquires and complaints from citizens and general public.
• Manage the City’s bridge infrastructure through inspections and coordination of necessary maintenance activities
• Utilize technology to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery of engineering services and other areas of City operations, GIS applications in particular.
• Mentor and guide to City’s engineering staff.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent
• Six years of experience in Engineering, Project Management or closely related area
• Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Wisconsin or must obtain within 12 months of hire date
• Valid driver’s license
• Previous experience with municipality or other organization with multiple product and service lines.
• Master’s Degree in Engineering or Project Management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices.
• Knowledge of City policies, procedures, and ordinances.
• Knowledge of budget processes.
• Must be able to prepare narrative and statistical reports regarding engineering projects.
• Must be able to present complex engineering information orally to City boards and commissions.
• Must be able to plan projects and prepare related design estimates and specifications.
• Strong technical aptitude and skills for project management and day to day administration.
• Considerable knowledge of project management principles and practices.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Work is primarily performed indoors. Occasional work outdoors which would involve working in all weather conditions (cold, rain, humidity) to multiple locations in the City. Occasional work in indoor environments such as mechanical rooms, pump houses, sewer plant, and other industrial type environments is required.
• Physical effort is light, with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently.
• There is a need to deliver information, which may involve public speaking in front of groups impacted by projects.
• Report preparation and writing will at times require extended use of a keyboard.
• Work interruptions are frequent.
• The job may involve dealing with and calming individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue.
• Requires a high-degree of skill in conflict/resolution and an ability to deal with developers and the general public.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.