Job: Deputy Resident Engineer, Stantec, Honolulu, HI
We create the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The Deputy Resident Engineer will work on challenging and diverse tasks in a consulting and construction management role that will require application of technical skills, project delivery, and leadership for construction projects. These projects consist of transit, highway, and other related infrastructure. This exciting opportunity provides excellent career growth opportunities in the Transportation practice.
The selected candidate will need to be self-directed, capable of independent tasks as well as supporting multidiscipline complex teams, and should demonstrate a passion for involvement in the transportation infrastructure industry with an enthusiasm for successful completion of projects that meet our clients’ needs.
Your Key Responsibilities
• Support management of rail and transit-related facilities projects.
• Act as a Resident Engineer overseeing the activities of major utility infrastructure relocations including high, medium and low voltage electrical systems; telecommunications and cable TV; traffic signals and street lighting; water, sewer, gas and drainage; and civil in a congested urban corridor.
• Oversee Lead Engineers, Office Engineers, Construction Inspectors, and Administrative personnel.
• Monitor and coordinate with contractors’ work for compliance to schedule, budget, technical specifications, and legal requirements.
• Resolve design and field construction problems.
• Attend progress meetings and report on project status.
• Expedite design and field changes.
• Review contractor requests for change and when appropriate, assist in the preparation of contract change orders/modifications.
• Assist the Client Contracting Office in the negotiation of contract changes.
• Communicate and implement Safety rules, policies, and procedures in support to Client’s safety vision and goals to contactors and subordinate personnel.
• Liaises with clients, agencies, and others to obtain and determine project requirements and approvals
• Examines field conditions as required to support development and completion of projects
• Coordinates complex utility engineering design and construction tasks with the construction team and with 3rd party owners on various projects including bridges, airports, roadways, and transit projects
• Leads the preparation and coordination of the project deliverables and documents including project reports to the client, cost and schedule reporting; specification reviews and recommendations; and production of engineering documents
• Reviews own work for accuracy and coordinates with others to ensure quality assurance and quality control for all final products
• Performs on technically complex projects and acts as a technical resource by providing guidance to other team members
• Stays up to date on regulatory changes
• Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
• Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects. Technical expert in all relevant areas of design and construction and understanding of various methods
• Experience and knowledge of managing multi-disciplined teams of professionals for heavy civil and utilities construction projects.
• Advanced knowledge of design, site development, and all types of public works, civil and utilities infrastructure design and construction
• Highly effective in building and maintaining client relationships
• Understanding of legal design and construction requirements for public works contracts
• Thorough knowledge and interpretation of code compliance requirements and industry standards
• Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation
• Proficient in AutoCAD, MicroStation, software
• Knowledge of calculations performed by software
• Experience and knowledge of P6 scheduling software
• Experience and knowledge of various estimating and project management software
• Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite
• Valid Class C driver’s license
• Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting, engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate ideas, design issues and solutions to others
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or another related field.
• A Hawaii PE is required and at least 15 years of construction experience on large infrastructure projects. A PE can be substituted for a licensed contractor focused on large infrastructure construction.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
To view this job opening and to apply online, please go to: https://bit.ly/2XUHKhh.