Job: State Traffic Safety Engineer, Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN
Are you passionate about improving the safety of the transportation system? The Minnesota Department of Transportation needs an experienced engineer who can lead MnDOT and its partners in defining our vision for safety and how we can work together to achieve it. Minnesota has been a leader in finding innovative ways to make our transportation system safer. Are you the one to help us take the next step Toward Zero Deaths?
In this position, you will provide leadership, supervision, and direction to the Traffic Safety Unit within the Office of Traffic Engineering and provide traffic safety expertise to the department, counties, cities, and consultants to support an effort to drive Minnesota toward Zero Deaths. Areas of responsibility include Minnesota's Strategic Highway Safety Plan, crash analysis, non-motorized transportation engineering standards, the FAST Act – Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) and Section 164, which total $40-$50M/year for statewide safety projects/activities.
WHY WORK FOR US
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
• 11 paid holidays per year
• Earn up to 29 paid vacation days a year
• Earn 13 days paid sick time
• Defined pension plan
• Paid life insurance
• Short & long-term disability available
• Training opportunities
• And more!
• Applicants must possess current registration as a Professional Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Architecture, Engineering, Land Surveying and Landscape Architecture (AELSLAGID) or be able to obtain licensure through reciprocity; and
• Five (5) years post registration knowledge and experience in traffic safety and/or research, which includes three (3) years of experience performing Engineer Principal* level (or higher) duties in a Traffic Safety environment; and
• A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university.
*Note: Engineer Principal equivalent means overseeing a complex engineering program and persuading others through direct supervision of employees or serving as a leader on teams/committees where you provide indirect supervision over other professionals.
If you meet these requirements, please provide a summary at the end of your resume (as one document) regarding your knowledge and experience in the following areas:
Technical Expertise: This deep technical experience must include:
• Expert knowledge in rural and urban traffic safety strategies (include research you’ve conducted, if any);
• Thorough knowledge of traffic engineering principles and practices, including road safety audits and project safety reviews;
• Thorough knowledge of traffic operations;
• Experience in the use of roadway, traffic, and crash data;
• Knowledge of design, specification, policies and overall objectives for successful integration of traffic control devices and the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD);
• Statistical analysis skills including development of new analytical tools; experience directing analysis and studies, evaluating results, and providing data in an understandable format for non-technical audience presentations, media, reports, and decision making processes;
• Project management principals, practices, and techniques for all phases of projects from inception to completion;
Human Relations: Experience building and maintaining relationships with major stakeholder groups with excellent team building and facilitation skills;
Communication Skills: Effective written and verbal communications skills sufficient to explain technical issues, design requirements to the public and non-technical personnel, develop project reports, provide direction to staff, and present information locally and nationally to a wide variety of audiences;
Leadership Skills: Experience in resolving issues, influencing and persuading others, gaining group consensus, and negotiating resolutions; demonstrated ability to know when to compromise and when to pursue a specific course of action.