ASSOCIATE ENGINEER - CIVIL (PE Required - a 2.5% differential will apply)
Salary: $10,290.80 - $13,175.07 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01242-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Dam Safety and Capital Delivery
Closing: 2/23/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Dam Safety and Project Delivery Unit (Position Code 0468)
Do you have 4+ years of professional engineering experience? Do you thrive working as part of a team to analyze complex civil engineering issues and work towards solutions that benefit your community? If so, read on!
The Associate Civil Engineer will assist the Dam Safety and Project Delivery Unit with project management, directing and participating in the technical evaluations and calculations for engineering work in support of the Dam Safety Program and related capital projects. Responsibilities include performing evaluations and calculations; preparing and reviewing technical reports within the unit and by our consultants; supporting development of appropriate projects to advance the program objectives, including deciding how best to comply with regulatory requirements; managing and delivering selected capital projects; and providing technical recommendations for maintenance and operations.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Manage delivery of capital projects by obtaining needed resources and support and taking primary responsibility for review and/or development of engineering evaluations and calculations for preparation of appropriate interim and final technical deliverables by District staff and/or contractors/vendors/consultants.
• Provide technical support and review of work of other DSPU staff and their contractors/vendors/consultants for ongoing dam maintenance, and surveillance/monitoring, including regular reporting of these activities to our state and federal regulators.
• Review and oversee updates to dam emergency action plans to ensure compliance with regulatory policies.
• Prepare, review, and manage delivery of annual dam surveillance and monitoring reports for all dams.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
• Four (4) years of professional engineering experience
• Three (3) or more years of experience working on dams or similar water retaining structures/facilities such as levees
• One (1) or more years of experience as a lead engineer working on civil engineering projects
• One (1) or more years of experience managing vendors and/or consultants
• Strong experience writing instrumentation and technical reports
• Experience working on seismic retrofit and heavy civil construction projects is a plus
• Experience working with DSOD & FERC is a plus
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Proficient in numerical (computer) analyses in the field of engineering
• Ability to interpret results of complex sophisticated analyses and evaluations specifically related to instrumentation and monitoring
• Efficient written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to write technical reports
• Ability to manage and/or work with consultants/vendors/stakeholders
• Good organization skills to set up complex technical meetings
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point
• Familiar with instrumentation databases
• Knowledge of engineering principles
• Knowledge of instrumentation and analysis
• Knowledge of practices and principles of project management (i.e., scope of work, schedule, budget, etc.).
Ideal Training and Education:
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a field related to assigned functional area(s) OR possession of a valid California Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate with two (2) years of associated paraprofessional engineering experience
• Professional Engineer (PE) License issued by the State of California is required
• MS in Engineering is a plus
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/CS Associate Engineer - Civil 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2151608
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.